Elections Office

Register to Vote

Update Your Voters Registration Information

Am I registered to vote? Where is my polling place?

Become a Poll Worker

Apply for a Marriage License

Contact the Voters Registration Office

Register to Vote or Update Your Registration
It is easy to register to vote or update your registration information.
West Virginia residents click here to download and print a Voters Registration Form (if you reside in another state, use USA.gov to find links to your home states registration information.)

  • Register using your home address. The law requires that you register where you live, not at a business address or Post Office Box.
  • Sign your legal name in the signature box under the phrase "SIGN YOUR NAME IN THE SPACE BELOW."
  • Add postage.
  • Mail to: Elections, Fayette County Courthouse, PO Box 569, Fayetteville, WV 25840.
  • Submit the Registration at least 20 days prior to the next election.
  • If you do not receive a notice in the mail within three weeks, call the Elections Office at 304-574-4325 to see if there is a problem.


  • 17 year olds may register and vote in primary elections if they turn 18 before the next general election.
  • You must be a natural born or naturalized citizen of the United States to register to vote.
  • A person who is ruled mentally incompetent by a court of law, is not allowed to vote.
  • No one under conviction, probation, or parole for treason, bribery in an election, or any felony is allowed to vote.
    • Once a person completes his or her sentence, he or she may register to vote again.

First-time voters: If you are registering to vote for the first time in WV, you must either present one of the following forms of identification at the polls or submit a copy of one along with your mail-in registration form:

  • unexpired or expired state issued driver’s license, or-
  • birth certificate, or-
  • US or foreign passport, visa, national identity cards issued by US government to foreign nationals, or-
  • employment photo ID issued by the federal, state or local government, including military or photo ID card from a government-sponsored program (NO business IDs, NO student IDs), and-
  • bank statement, or-
  •  utility bill, or-
  • E-911 address, or-
  • W-2 

Click here for online services offered by the Secretary of State, to find out if you are registered to vote and find your polling place.

click here to return to top

Become a Poll Worker
Review Poll Worker eligibility, requirements, and information at SOS.WV.GOV, then contact Sara Tucker, Elections Clerk at 304-574-4235.

click here to return to top

Applying for a Marriage License
Before getting married in West Virginia or Fayette County, couples must obtain a marriage license together, in person, from the Voters Registration Office.

Eligibility: Marriage is designed to be a loving and lifelong union between two people.  The laws of this state affirm your right to enter into a marriage and live within the marriage free from violence and abuse.  Neither of you is the property of the other.  Physical abuse, sexual abuse, battery and assault of a spouse or other family member, as well as other provisions of the criminal laws of this state, are applicable to spouses and other family members and violations thereof are punishable by law.

Individuals wishing to marry must:

  • not be blood relatives
  • be 18 years of age or older

Individuals who reside out of state may not apply for a marriage license in West Virginia if such a marriage would not be legal in their home state.

If either party resides in West Virginia, the couple must apply in the county where he/she resides, but may be married anywhere in the state.

Exceptions: Under state law, applicants who are 16 and 17 years old may obtain a marriage license with parental consent. If a court-appointed legal guardian is providing consent, a certified copy of the appointment is required. Either the parents or the legal guardians must provide a notarized affidavit of consent of the marriage at that time. Underage applicants must provide valid identification, and are subject to a three-day waiting period.

Applicants who are 16 or 17 must present a certified copy of their birth certificate.

Applying: In order to apply for a marriage license, couples must:

  • appear together at the Fayette County Courthouse
  • fill out and sign a marriage license application
  • present valid identifications with proof of age
  • pay a $56 fee (cash or credit card)
    • Note: this fee is reduced to $36 if the applicants present a premarital education course completion certificate dated within one year of the application of marriage license. This class must be completed before applying for a marriage license in order to get the reduced fee. No refunds will be issued for classes taken after the marriage license application date.
  • provide social security numbers
  • provide mothers' and fathers' full names at birth - first, middle and last - plus state or foreign country, of their births

Applicants who have been previously married must provide the exact month, day and year that the previous marriage ended; indicate whether it was by death, divorce or annulment, and provide a divorce decree dated within one year of the divorce.

Timelines and Restrictions: Marriage licenses are:

  • issued while you wait
  • effective immediately after issued
  • valid for 60 days
  • effective only in West Virginia

A couple may be married either by a minister that is registered in the State of West Virginia or a judicial judge. It is the couple’s responsibility to make these arrangements.

After the Marriage Ceremony: The individual(s) performing the ceremony must complete the marriage license and mail or deliver it to the Fayette County Clerk's Office.

For a fee of $5 per copy and pertinent information (both parties' full names and date of marriage) you may obtain a copy of your marriage certificate at the Fayette County Clerk's Office.  

Civil Ceremony in Fayette County: PLEASE NOTE:  The Fayette County Courthouse does not have onsite officials who will perform walk-in civil marriages.  You may call the Marriage License Office at 304-574-4235 for a list of local civil officiants and contact information.  

Religious Officials: All religious officials performing marriages in the State of West Virginia are required to file with the West Virginia Secretary of State’s Office. Registration packets can be obtained by calling the Secretary of State’s Office toll free at (866) 767-8683 or visiting their website wvsos.com.

It is the responsibility of the religious official to keep a record of each marriage performed, which must be kept as a permanent record.

Acceptable Forms of Identification and Proof of Age for Marriage License

  • unexpired or expired state issued driver’s license, or certified birth certificate from the county or state, or-
  • passport, visa, national identity cards issued by US government to foreign nationals, military or photo ID card (NO business IDs, NO student IDs)

click here to return to top

Office Location and Contact Information
Fayette County Clerk's Office, Fayette County Courthouse, 100 North Court Street, PO Box 569, Fayetteville, WV 25840
Phone: 304-574-4235 and 304-574-4236