Make a Tax Payment
Search Your Property Tax Records
View Tax Deadline Dates
Hotel/Motel Occupancy Tax
Office hours are 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday.
You must access the Tax Office via the Church Street/Magistrate entrance. You cannot enter the Tax or Assessor's offices via the E Maple Ave doors.
However, there is a drop box for tax payments by the E Maple Ave Tax Door.
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND INFORMATION
Payments can be made by cash, check, or credit card (all credit card payments will incur a processing fee).
Stop by our office
at 100 Church Street, Fayetteville ,
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
To pay by mail, please send to:
Sheriff of Fayette County, P.O. Box 509, Fayetteville, WV 25840
- When sending payments by mail, please enclose a self addressed stamped envelope for return receipt.
Payments may be made online at
DISCOUNT: Taxpayers receive 2 ½ percent discount on the first half installment if paid on or before September 1. This discount is also applied to the second half installment if paid on or before the following March 1. Postmarks are observed as time of payment.
DELINQUENCIES: The first half installment becomes delinquent if not paid before October 1. The second half installment becomes delinquent if not paid before the following April 1. Taxes remaining unpaid on April 30 will be subject to publication. If publication occurs, additional fees will be charged.
INTEREST: If taxes are not paid on or before the date on which they become delinquent, including both first and second installments, interest at the rate of nine percent per annum shall be added from the date they become delinquent until paid.
HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION: If you are age 64 or older, or 100% disabled, contact the Fayette County Assessors Office about the Homestead Exemption. Application period is July 1 through December 1 each year. Applies to primary residence only.
IMPORTANT DEADLINE DATES FOR 2023 TAX YEAR:
· September 1, 2023 — First Half Discount Ends · Farm use valuation application & commercial business returns due to assessor.
· October 1, 2023 — First Half Taxes Delinquent · Interest on first half begins · Personal property assessments due to assessor on or before October 1.
· December 1, 2023 — Homestead/Disability Exemption form due to Assessor on or before December 1.
· March 1, 2024 — Second Half Discount Ends.
· April 1, 2024 — Second Half Taxes Delinquent · Interest on Second Half Begins.
· April 30, 2024 — Taxes remaining unpaid after this date will be subject to publication & additional fees will be charged.
· July 1, 2024 — All personal property taxes remaining due are subject to civil action · Taxes on property you own this July 1 will be billed next year.
· September 1, 2024 — All real estate taxes subject to second publication - tax lien sale procedure starts.
· October 31, 2024 — All unpaid real estate taxes wil be certified to the auditor
CONTACT THE OFFICE FOR PAYMENT CUT-OFF DATES ON DELINQUENT PROPERTIES
HOTEL/MOTEL OCCUPANCY TAX: All taxes are due and payable by the 15th of the month following their collection. All taxes remaining unpaid after the 15th shall be considered delinquent and will be subject to a
$15.00 late penalty. The first month that the tax is delinquent, a penalty of
two and a half (2.5%) percent shall be assessed for the delinquent period. Each additional month that the tax remains delinquent, an
one and a half (1.5%) percent
penalty per month shall be assessed. No payment for a subsequent period shall be collected until all prior delinquent taxes have been paid in full with all penalties assessed thereto.
Order Amending H/M Tax Penalty 5.30.19
Hotel-Motel Tax Form 2019 NEW
Sample Late HM Tax Form
Fayette County Sheriff's Tax Office
100 Church Street - Enter through Magistrate Court
Mailing: P.O. Box 509
Fayetteville, WV 25840
Tax Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
TOP OF PAGE